Why do you have dry skin ?
Dry skin occurs when the skin loses moisture and becomes dehydrated. The outer layer of the skin, called the stratum corneum, contains natural oils and water-binding substances that help retain moisture and keep the skin hydrated. When the skin loses these oils and water-binding substances, it can become dry and flaky.
Some common causes of dry skin include:
- Cold and dry weather: During the winter months, the air is dry, and the cold wind can strip the skin of its natural oils, leading to dryness and flakiness.
- Hot baths and showers: Prolonged exposure to hot water can strip the skin of its natural oils, causing dryness and irritation.
- Harsh soaps and detergents: Using soaps and detergents that contain harsh chemicals can strip the skin of its natural oils, leading to dryness and irritation.
- Aging: As we age, the skin produces less oil, leading to dryness and fine lines.
- Medical conditions: Certain medical conditions, such as eczema, psoriasis, and hypothyroidism, can cause dry skin.
- Medications: Certain medications, such as diuretics and antihistamines, can cause dry skin as a side effect.
- Genetics: Some people are genetically predisposed to dry skin.
What can you do about it ?
There are several derma-based treatments available for very dry skin.
Here are a few options:
- Moisturizers: A dermatologist can recommend a high-quality moisturizer that is suitable for very dry skin. Look for moisturizers that contain ingredients like ceramides, hyaluronic acid, and glycerin, which help to hydrate and nourish the skin.
- Prescription-strength creams: If over-the-counter moisturizers are not effective, a dermatologist may recommend prescription-strength creams that contain higher concentrations of hydrating ingredients like urea or lactic acid.
- Topical steroids: In some cases, a dermatologist may recommend a topical steroid cream to reduce inflammation and itching associated with very dry skin.
- Chemical peels: Chemical peels can help to exfoliate the skin and remove dead skin cells, which can improve the texture and appearance of very dry skin.
- Microdermabrasion: Microdermabrasion is a non-invasive treatment that uses tiny crystals to remove the outermost layer of skin, revealing softer, smoother skin beneath.
- Injectable fillers: Injectable fillers can help to plump and hydrate the skin, reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles associated with very dry skin.
Why choose iksana?
Welcome to Iksana, where exceptional care awaits you. Prepare to be captivated by the expertise of our Chief dermatologist, Dr. Aparajita Lamba, as she delves deep into the root cause of your concerns. With unwavering dedication, she not only unveils the intricacies of your treatment but also sheds light on the often overlooked aggravating factors. From the impact of your diet to the influence of your lifestyle choices, our comprehensive treatment plan goes beyond mere medicine, offering a supportive approach that nurtures your well-being.
Dr. Lamba’s relentless pursuit for knowledge and passion for exploring the latest breakthroughs in dermatology ensure that you receive nothing but the most effective solutions. At Iksana, we embrace the holistic view, caring for you as a complete individual—from the inside out. Our mission reaches far beyond the confines of superficial symptoms, empowering you to unlock newfound confidence and embrace your best self.
Join us at Iksana, where personalized care merges with innovation, setting the stage for a transformative journey towards a brighter, more radiant you. Let us guide you towards a world of boundless beauty and self-assurance.