Why do you have MELASMA ?
Melasma is a common skin condition characterized by the development of brown or grayish-brown patches on the skin, typically on the face. The exact cause of melasma is not known, but it is believed to be linked to a combination of genetic, hormonal, and environmental factors.
Here are some of the common causes of melasma:
- Hormonal changes: Melasma is often associated with hormonal changes, such as those that occur during pregnancy, menopause, or while taking birth control pills. These hormonal changes can cause an increase in melanin production, leading to the development of dark patches on the skin.
- Sun exposure: Exposure to the sun’s UV rays can trigger the production of melanin in the skin, leading to the development of melasma.
- Genetics: Some people may be more prone to developing melasma due to genetic factors.
- Certain medications or cosmetics: Certain medications, such as those containing hormones or antimalarials, can cause an increase in melanin production and contribute to the development of melasma. Cosmetics that irritate the skin can also contribute to the development of melasma.
- Thyroid disease: Some studies have suggested a link between thyroid disease and the development of melasma.
What can you do about it ?
There are several derma-based treatments available for melasma, and the best one for you will depend on the type and severity of your melasma.
Here are some common derma-based treatment options:
- Topical creams: Prescription creams containing hydroquinone, retinoids, corticosteroids, azelaic acid, or kojic acid can help lighten and reduce the appearance of melasma.
- Chemical peels: Chemical peels involve the application of a chemical solution to the skin to remove the outer layer, revealing new, brighter skin underneath. They can be effective in reducing the appearance of melasma.
- Laser therapy: Laser therapy involves the use of targeted lasers to break up pigmented cells and stimulate the growth of new, healthy skin cells. This can be an effective option for more severe cases of melasma.
- Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) therapy: IPL therapy uses intense pulses of light to target pigmented cells and break them down. This can be an effective option for treating various types of melasma.
- Microdermabrasion: Microdermabrasion involves the use of a special tool to gently exfoliate the skin and remove the outer layer. It can help reduce the appearance of melasma and improve skin texture.
- Fractional laser resurfacing: This treatment uses a laser to create tiny injuries in the skin, which stimulates the growth of new, healthy skin cells. It can help improve the appearance of melasma and other types of hyperpigmentation.
It’s important to consult with a dermatologist to determine the most appropriate treatment option for your specific type and severity of melasma. Additionally, it’s essential to protect your skin from further damage by wearing sunscreen daily and avoiding prolonged sun exposure.
Why choose iksana?
Welcome to Iksana, where exceptional care awaits you. Prepare to be captivated by the expertise of our Chief dermatologist, Dr. Aparajita Lamba, as she delves deep into the root cause of your concerns. With unwavering dedication, she not only unveils the intricacies of your treatment but also sheds light on the often overlooked aggravating factors. From the impact of your diet to the influence of your lifestyle choices, our comprehensive treatment plan goes beyond mere medicine, offering a supportive approach that nurtures your well-being.
Dr. Lamba’s relentless pursuit for knowledge and passion for exploring the latest breakthroughs in dermatology ensure that you receive nothing but the most effective solutions. At Iksana, we embrace the holistic view, caring for you as a complete individual—from the inside out. Our mission reaches far beyond the confines of superficial symptoms, empowering you to unlock newfound confidence and embrace your best self.
Join us at Iksana, where personalized care merges with innovation, setting the stage for a transformative journey towards a brighter, more radiant you. Let us guide you towards a world of boundless beauty and self-assurance.