- Why do you get fungal infections ?
Fungal infections are caused by various types of fungi, which are microscopic organisms that can live on the skin, in the soil, on plants, and in other environments.There are several risk factors that can increase an individual’s likelihood of developing a fungal infection.
- Weakened immune system: People with HIV/AIDS, cancer, or diabetes, are at a higher risk of developing fungal infections.
- Age: Older adults are more susceptible to fungal infections due to changes in the skin and immune system that occur with age.
- Antibiotic use: Antibiotics can disrupt the balance of microorganisms in the body, increasing the risk of fungal infections.
- Steroid use: Long-term use of steroid medications can weaken the immune system and increase the risk of fungal infections.
- Humidity and moisture: Fungi thrive in warm, moist environments, so people who live in humid climates or have jobs that involve prolonged exposure to moisture, such as farmers or construction workers, are at a higher risk of fungal infections.
- Tight-fitting or non-breathable clothing: Clothes or shoes that trap moisture can create a favorable environment for fungi to grow, increasing the risk of fungal infections.
- Close contact with someone who has a fungal infection: Fungal infections can be contagious, so people who live with or have close contact with someone who has a fungal infection are at a higher risk of developing an infection themselves.
- Chronic skin conditions: People with chronic skin conditions, such as eczema or psoriasis, are more susceptible to fungal infections because the skin is already compromised and more vulnerable to invasion by fungi.
What can you do about it ?
The treatment of fungal infections depends on the severity and location of the infection. Dermatologists may prescribe:
- Topical antifungal medications come in the form of creams, lotions, or powders, and are typically applied directly to the affected area.
- Oral antifungal medications are usually reserved for more severe or widespread infections, and may be prescribed for several weeks or months.
In addition to medication, there are some home remedies and lifestyle changes that may help manage fungal infections, including:
- Keeping the affected area clean and dry: Fungi thrive in warm, moist environments, so keeping the affected area clean and dry can help prevent the infection from spreading.
- Avoiding tight-fitting or non-breathable clothing: Clothing that traps moisture can create a favorable environment for fungi to grow, so wearing loose-fitting, breathable clothing may help prevent fungal infections.
- Using antifungal powders or sprays: Over-the-counter antifungal powders or sprays can help reduce moisture and kill fungi on the skin.
- Maintaining good hygiene: Regularly washing your hands, showering after exercising or sweating, and keeping your nails trimmed and clean can all help prevent fungal infections.
It is important to consult with a healthcare provider or dermatologist to determine the best treatment plan for your individual needs.
Why choose iksana?
Welcome to Iksana, where exceptional care awaits you. Prepare to be captivated by the expertise of our Chief dermatologist, Dr. Aparajita Lamba, as she delves deep into the root cause of your concerns. With unwavering dedication, she not only unveils the intricacies of your treatment but also sheds light on the often overlooked aggravating factors. From the impact of your diet to the influence of your lifestyle choices, our comprehensive treatment plan goes beyond mere medicine, offering a supportive approach that nurtures your well-being.
Dr. Lamba’s relentless pursuit for knowledge and passion for exploring the latest breakthroughs in dermatology ensure that you receive nothing but the most effective solutions. At Iksana, we embrace the holistic view, caring for you as a complete individual—from the inside out. Our mission reaches far beyond the confines of superficial symptoms, empowering you to unlock newfound confidence and embrace your best self.
Join us at Iksana, where personalized care merges with innovation, setting the stage for a transformative journey towards a brighter, more radiant you. Let us guide you towards a world of boundless beauty and self-assurance.