Inflammation is the body’s natural response to injury or infection. However, chronic inflammation can lead to a number of health problems, including heart disease, diabetes, and cancer. One way to reduce inflammation and improve your overall health is to include probiotic-rich vegetarian foods in your diet. For those following an Indian diet, here are some vegetarian probiotic food items that can help decrease inflammation and improve health.
- Yogurt (Curd): Yogurt, or curd as it is commonly called in India, is a great source of probiotics, particularly strains of Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium. It is a common ingredient in many Indian dishes and can be eaten plain, used as a marinade, or mixed with fruits and nuts.
- Idli and Dosa: Idli and dosa are popular South Indian dishes made from fermented rice and lentil batter. The fermentation process enhances the nutritional value of these dishes and increases the bioavailability of nutrients.
- Kanji: Kanji is a traditional North Indian fermented drink made from carrots, beets, or mustard greens. It is high in probiotics and is also rich in antioxidants and other beneficial nutrients.
- Pickles: Pickles are a staple in Indian cuisine and are made by fermenting vegetables in a brine solution. They are a good source of probiotics and can be enjoyed as a side dish or used as a condiment in sandwiches and wraps.
- Chaas: Chaas, also known as buttermilk, is a refreshing Indian drink made by blending yogurt, water, and spices. It is a good source of probiotics and can be enjoyed on its own or used as a base for smoothies.
- Kombucha: Kombucha is a fermented tea that has gained popularity in India in recent years. It is high in probiotics and also contains antioxidants and other beneficial compounds.
- Mishti Doi: Mishti doi is a sweetened yogurt dessert that is popular in Bengal. It is made by fermenting milk with a special culture of bacteria and yeast, and is a good source of probiotics.
Incorporating these vegetarian probiotic food items into your Indian diet can help reduce inflammation and improve your overall health. It is important to remember that a healthy diet is just one aspect of a healthy lifestyle, and it is important to also get regular exercise, manage stress, and get enough sleep to promote optimal health.
Dr. Aparajita Lamba